What words did M. Hamel write on the blackboard before dismissing the last class? What did they mean?
Answer: Before dismissing the last French class, M. Hamel turned to the blackboard, took a piece of chalk and wrote as large as he could—”Vive la France!” These words meant “Long Live France”. He then made a gesture with his hand that the class was dismissed.
- How did Franz perform when his turn came to recite? How did M. Hamel react?
- Who occupied the backbenches in the classroom on the day of the last lesson? Why? [CBSE Delhi 2015]
- Why had M. Hamel put on his fine Sunday clothes? Why were the old men of the village sitting there in the back of the classroom?
- What was unusual about M. Hamel’s dress and behaviour on the day of his last French lesson? [CBSE Delhi 2010C]
- What was tempting Franz to keep away from school ‘that morning’? [CBSE Delhi 2010C]
- Why had the bulletin board become a centre of attention during the last two years? [CBSE Delhi 2010]
- How did M. Hamel say farewell to his students and the people of the town? [CBSE (AI) 2012]
- How did Franz react to the declaration that it was their last French lesson? [CBSE Delhi 2013]
- “This is your last French lesson.” How did Franz react to this declaration of M. Hamel? [CBSE Delhi 2010]
- Who did M. Hamel blame for the neglect of learning on the part of boys like Franz? [CBSE Delhi 2011]
- “What a thunderclap these words were to me!” Which were the words that shocked and surprised little Franz? [CBSE Delhi 2010; (AI) 2011]
- One order from Berlin changed the scenario of the school. Comment
- What did M. Hamel tell them about the French language? What did he ask them to do and why? [CBSE Delhi 2011, 2013C]
- How does M. Hamel pay a tribute to the French language? [CBSE (AI) 2008]
- How was M. Hamel’s class different the day Franz went late to school?
- How was the scene in the school, on the morning of the last lesson, different from that on other days? [CBSE Delhi 2008] [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- Which objects of nature does Keats mention as sources of joy in his poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What does a thing of beauty do for us? [CBSE Delhi 2015]
- What does Keats consider an endless fountain of immortal drink and why does he call its drink immortal? [CBSE (AI) 2013]
- According to Keats, what moves the pain and suffering away from human life? [CBSE Sample Paper 2016]
- Describe any three things of beauty mentioned in the poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty'. [CBSE (AI) 2012, CBSE (AI) 2013]
- How is a thing of beauty a joy forever? [CBSE Delhi 2012]
- What is the message of the poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty? [CBSE (AI) 2011]
- What spreads the pall of despondence over our dark spirits? How is it removed? [CBSE (F) 2010]