How is Mukesh’s attitude towards his situation different from that of Saheb? Why? [CBSE Delhi 2015]
Answer: Mukesh is definitely more ambitious than Saheb. Unlike most of his friends in Firozabad, Mukesh did not want to follow the profession of making bangles. No one else could dare to think of breaking the conventional style of living. Mukesh dreamt of becoming a motor mechanic. He had already decided to go to a garage and learn about cars. Though the garage was a long way from his home, he was prepared to walk that distance. He insisted on becoming his own master. Saheb, on the other hand, had sacrificed his freedom as a ragpicker to take up a salaried job that would pay him 800 rupees and give him all his meals. Now he was no longer his own master. He had lost his carefree look (which he had when he was a ragpicker). The can that he carried seemed heavier than the bag he carried as a ragpicker, for this job was not to his liking.
- How did Franz perform when his turn came to recite? How did M. Hamel react?
- Who occupied the backbenches in the classroom on the day of the last lesson? Why? [CBSE Delhi 2015]
- Why had M. Hamel put on his fine Sunday clothes? Why were the old men of the village sitting there in the back of the classroom?
- What was unusual about M. Hamel’s dress and behaviour on the day of his last French lesson? [CBSE Delhi 2010C]
- What was tempting Franz to keep away from school ‘that morning’? [CBSE Delhi 2010C]
- Why had the bulletin board become a centre of attention during the last two years? [CBSE Delhi 2010]
- How did M. Hamel say farewell to his students and the people of the town? [CBSE (AI) 2012]
- How did Franz react to the declaration that it was their last French lesson? [CBSE Delhi 2013]
- “This is your last French lesson.” How did Franz react to this declaration of M. Hamel? [CBSE Delhi 2010]
- Who did M. Hamel blame for the neglect of learning on the part of boys like Franz? [CBSE Delhi 2011]
- “What a thunderclap these words were to me!” Which were the words that shocked and surprised little Franz? [CBSE Delhi 2010; (AI) 2011]
- One order from Berlin changed the scenario of the school. Comment
- What did M. Hamel tell them about the French language? What did he ask them to do and why? [CBSE Delhi 2011, 2013C]
- How does M. Hamel pay a tribute to the French language? [CBSE (AI) 2008]
- How was M. Hamel’s class different the day Franz went late to school?
- How was the scene in the school, on the morning of the last lesson, different from that on other days? [CBSE Delhi 2008] [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- Which objects of nature does Keats mention as sources of joy in his poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What does a thing of beauty do for us? [CBSE Delhi 2015]
- What does Keats consider an endless fountain of immortal drink and why does he call its drink immortal? [CBSE (AI) 2013]
- According to Keats, what moves the pain and suffering away from human life? [CBSE Sample Paper 2016]
- Describe any three things of beauty mentioned in the poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty'. [CBSE (AI) 2012, CBSE (AI) 2013]
- How is a thing of beauty a joy forever? [CBSE Delhi 2012]
- What is the message of the poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty? [CBSE (AI) 2011]
- What spreads the pall of despondence over our dark spirits? How is it removed? [CBSE (F) 2010]