Question: Our language is part of our culture and we are proud of it. Describe how regretful M. Hamel and the village elders are for having neglected their native language, French. [CBSE Delhi 2016]
Answer: M. Hamel told the students and villagers that henceforth only German would be taught in the schools of Alsace and Lorraine. Those who called themselves Frenchmen would neither be able to speak nor write it. He praised French as the most beautiful, clearest and most logical language in the world. He said that for the enslaved people, their language was the key out of prison. Only then do the people realise the importance of their language. This shows people’s love for their own culture, traditions and country. Pride in one’s language reflects pride in the motherland. When Franz jumbled while it was his turn to answer, M. Hamel expresses regret at the pathetic state of the language among the folks of Alsace. He regrets the fact that everyone chose to Procrastinate. Also, he felt the parents preferred that their children worked on the farms for that extra income. He worried that the Germans would ridicule them for being incapable of speaking and writing their language. He blames everyone including himself for being careless lazy and Lackadaisical. (unenthusiastic, lack of determination).
- What is the source of the endless fountain and what is its effect? [CBSE (F) 2010, 2011]
- “… but after the airport’s security check, standing a few yards away, I looked again at her, wan, pale as a late winter’s moon…”
- “Driving from my parent’s home to Cochin last Friday morning, I saw my mother, beside me, doze, open-mouthed, her face ashen like that of a corpse and realised with pain that she was as old as she looked but soon put that thought far away,...”
- How can suspension of activities help? [CBSE (AI) 2012]
- What were Kamala Das’ fears as a child? Why do the fears surface when she is going to the airport? [CBSE (AI) 2011]
- ‘It was a perfect place, she had always thought so.’ Which is the place described and what made it so perfect?
- What did Sophie tell Jansie about her meeting with Danny Casey?
- What was the weekly pilgrimage in the story ‘Going places’?
- Write Sophie’s description of her first meeting with Danny Casey
- What did Sophie imagine about her meeting with Danny Casey?
- Why did Sophie like Danny Casey?
- What did Sophie tell Geoff about Danny Casey?
- What were Sophie’s views about the vast world around her?
- What was the special fascination of the teenager, Sophie?
- “And she was jealous of his silence.” Why was Sophie jealous of Geoff’s silence?
- What was Geoff doing and how did he go to his work?
- Why did Sophie wish to become an actress?
- What does the reference to chappals in ‘Lost Spring’ tell us about the economic condition of the rag pickers? [CBSE (AI) 2016]
- Describe the irony in Saheb’s name. [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- How is the bangle industry of Firozabad a curse for the bangle makers?
- “It is his karam, his destiny”. What is Mukesh’s family’s attitude towards their situation? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What does Saheb look for in the garbage dumps? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What did garbage mean to the children of Seemapuri and to their parents? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- Why don’t the younger ones of the bangle makers do anything else?
- What is the condition of the children working in the glass furnaces of Firozabad?