Question: Write a character sketch of Franz.
Answer: Franz was a student of a school in Alsace. His schoolmaster was M. Hamel. Franz was not brilliant. Franz enjoyed spending time out of doors. He liked the warm and bright day and loved to listen to the chirping of the birds and watching the drilling of the Prussian soldiers. He preferred this to be in the classroom. He didn’t prepare his lesson on participles. When he was asked to recite, he got mixed up and confused. He was not excited to go to school and did not show any interest in M. Hamel’s teaching. But he was scared of M. Hamel’s scolding. He always dreaded the great ruler that M. Hamel kept under his arm. Franz knew how ‘cranky’ M. Hamel was. However, Franz was forced to change his opinion about M. Hamel. An order came from Berlin pronouncing that the German language would be taught in the schools of French districts of Alsace and Lorraine. On knowing that it was the last lesson that Mr Hamel was going to deliver, his views about him changed. He started respecting the man who had spent forty years in the same school. He felt sorry for not learning French. He shared M. Hamel’s views about the French. It was the most beautiful language in the world. Franz sarcastically remarked, “Will they make them sing in German, even the pigeons?” After the last lesson, his views about the French took a patriotic turn. He listened to M. Hamel’s last lesson with rapt attention and dignity and regretted having been careless and inattentive.
- What is the source of the endless fountain and what is its effect? [CBSE (F) 2010, 2011]
- “… but after the airport’s security check, standing a few yards away, I looked again at her, wan, pale as a late winter’s moon…”
- “Driving from my parent’s home to Cochin last Friday morning, I saw my mother, beside me, doze, open-mouthed, her face ashen like that of a corpse and realised with pain that she was as old as she looked but soon put that thought far away,...”
- How can suspension of activities help? [CBSE (AI) 2012]
- What were Kamala Das’ fears as a child? Why do the fears surface when she is going to the airport? [CBSE (AI) 2011]
- ‘It was a perfect place, she had always thought so.’ Which is the place described and what made it so perfect?
- What did Sophie tell Jansie about her meeting with Danny Casey?
- What was the weekly pilgrimage in the story ‘Going places’?
- Write Sophie’s description of her first meeting with Danny Casey
- What did Sophie imagine about her meeting with Danny Casey?
- Why did Sophie like Danny Casey?
- What did Sophie tell Geoff about Danny Casey?
- What were Sophie’s views about the vast world around her?
- What was the special fascination of the teenager, Sophie?
- “And she was jealous of his silence.” Why was Sophie jealous of Geoff’s silence?
- What was Geoff doing and how did he go to his work?
- Why did Sophie wish to become an actress?
- What does the reference to chappals in ‘Lost Spring’ tell us about the economic condition of the rag pickers? [CBSE (AI) 2016]
- Describe the irony in Saheb’s name. [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- How is the bangle industry of Firozabad a curse for the bangle makers?
- “It is his karam, his destiny”. What is Mukesh’s family’s attitude towards their situation? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What does Saheb look for in the garbage dumps? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What did garbage mean to the children of Seemapuri and to their parents? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- Why don’t the younger ones of the bangle makers do anything else?
- What is the condition of the children working in the glass furnaces of Firozabad?