What does Stephen Spender want to be done for the children of the school in a slum? [CBSE Delhi 2016]
Answer: The poet wants the children of the slum to get rid of the dull and morbid state of affairs of the school. They should be provided with basic civic amenities, proper educational infrastructure, and great accessible opportunities to explore the world outside with its gifts and bounties. The poet wishes for good education for the children of the slums as he thinks that it is only education that can free these children from the shackles of poverty.
- What is the source of the endless fountain and what is its effect? [CBSE (F) 2010, 2011]
- “… but after the airport’s security check, standing a few yards away, I looked again at her, wan, pale as a late winter’s moon…”
- “Driving from my parent’s home to Cochin last Friday morning, I saw my mother, beside me, doze, open-mouthed, her face ashen like that of a corpse and realised with pain that she was as old as she looked but soon put that thought far away,...”
- How can suspension of activities help? [CBSE (AI) 2012]
- What were Kamala Das’ fears as a child? Why do the fears surface when she is going to the airport? [CBSE (AI) 2011]
- ‘It was a perfect place, she had always thought so.’ Which is the place described and what made it so perfect?
- What did Sophie tell Jansie about her meeting with Danny Casey?
- What was the weekly pilgrimage in the story ‘Going places’?
- Write Sophie’s description of her first meeting with Danny Casey
- What did Sophie imagine about her meeting with Danny Casey?
- Why did Sophie like Danny Casey?
- What did Sophie tell Geoff about Danny Casey?
- What were Sophie’s views about the vast world around her?
- What was the special fascination of the teenager, Sophie?
- “And she was jealous of his silence.” Why was Sophie jealous of Geoff’s silence?
- What was Geoff doing and how did he go to his work?
- Why did Sophie wish to become an actress?
- What does the reference to chappals in ‘Lost Spring’ tell us about the economic condition of the rag pickers? [CBSE (AI) 2016]
- Describe the irony in Saheb’s name. [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- How is the bangle industry of Firozabad a curse for the bangle makers?
- “It is his karam, his destiny”. What is Mukesh’s family’s attitude towards their situation? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What does Saheb look for in the garbage dumps? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What did garbage mean to the children of Seemapuri and to their parents? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- Why don’t the younger ones of the bangle makers do anything else?
- What is the condition of the children working in the glass furnaces of Firozabad?