Question: Name the Europeans who first conquered America in the mid- 16th century.
Answer: Portugal and Spain
The two European countries of Portugal and Spain had conquered a vast portion of America in the mid 16 century. This conquest was possible due to the superior quality of military equipment, Apart from this, another unconventional reason for conquest was the germs of smallpox, carried by Europeans to America. Since the people living in America lived in isolation and did not have any immunization against it, it led to the spread of smallpox among them. Eventually, many people died in America, which further strengthen their conquest.
- 'The plantation workers in Assam had their own understanding of Mahatma Gandhi and the nation of Swaraj.' Support the statements with arguments
- How did the salt march become an effective tool of resistance against British colonial power?
- Explain the reaction of the business class towards the Civil Disobedience Movements
- Examine any four cultural processes through which Indian nationalism captured people’s imagination
- Why did the Muslim community not join the struggle during the Civil Disobedience Movements? Give reasons
- ‘A Satyagraha wins the battle through non-violence. Explain with examples
- Describe the various problem in unifying people in India by the end of the 19th century
- Why was Non-Cooperation a Powerful method of resistance?
- When and where did Mahatma Gandhi successfully organise Satyagraha Movements just after arriving in India?
- What is the meaning of the term ‘boycott’ in respect of national movement?
- What was the result of the Poona Pact of September 1932?
- Why did General Dyer open fire on the peaceful gathering at Jallianwala Bagh on 13th April 1919?
- During the period of Non-Cooperation Movements, who claimed to have a special power, could heal people and survive bullet shots?