Question: What were the steps taken by European employers to retain the African labours?
Answer: The European employers had taken the following steps to retain the African labourers:
i) The European government imposed a heavy taxation system that could be paid by
the African labourers only by working for the Europeans.
ii) They were kept in closed circuit areas and were not allowed to move freely.
iii) A new inheritance law was issued stating that only one family member will inherit the land and the rest will move into the labour market.
- What was the reaction of the people to the Rowlatt Act?
- Who led the Peasant Movement in Awadh during the Non-Cooperation Movement?
- Under whose leadership was the Non-Cooperation Movement started in the Gudem Hills of Andhra Pradesh?
- What did the idea of Satyagraha emphasise?
- Who created the first image of Bharat Mata?
- Name the personality who organised the Dalits into the Depressed Classes Association
- When was Non-Cooperation boycotted?
- Why was the Simon Commission boycotted?
- Why was the Kheda Satyagraha launched by Gandhiji?
- Name the person who worked for the revival of folk culture in Madras
- Who has first created the image of Bharat Mata?
- During which movement was the Indian tricolour flag designed?
- What is Hindu Mahasabha?
- When and where the demand for ‘Purna Swaraj’ was accepted by Congress?
- Why did the Non-Cooperation Movement gradually slow down in the cities?
- Who was Alluri Sitaram Raju?
- Name the Sabha headed by Jawahar Lal Nehru and Baba Ramchandra
- Besides Gandhiji who were the main leaders of the Khilafat Movement?