Question: Why, do you think, was the Maharaja in danger of losing his throne? [CBSE (AI) 2010, CBSE (AI) 2015]
Answer: A high-ranking British official came to the state. He desired to hunt tigers. The Maharaja did not give permission. The officer sent a word to get himself photographed holding a gun beside a tiger’s dead body. However, the Maharaja refused even that. As the Maharaja had prevented a British officer from fulfilling his desire, he was in danger of losing his kingdom.
- What made Jack realise that his custom of telling a story was turning futile?
- Do you think Jack shared an affinity with Roger Skunk? Explain
- Why does Jo want the wizard should hit the mommy? Does her stand reflect a child’s perspective on life? What is your choice?
- Draw the character sketch of Jack
- Roger Skunk’s mother hit the wizard on his head. Do you think it was right on her part to do so? Should the wizard hit Roger Skunk’s mother?
- How does Derry interpret the fairy tale ‘Beauty and the Beast’? What does he feel about himself?
- If you were to give a different ending to the story ‘On the Face of It’, how would you end it?
- What peculiar things does Derry notice about the old man, Lamb?
- Why does Mr Lamb leave his gate always open?
- Mr Lamb told Derry the story of a man who hid himself in his room. Why did the man do so and with what result?
- People are insensitive to those who have disabilities. Give instances from the story, ‘On the face of it’
- Mr Lamb’s advice to Derry was the product of his goodness of heart or to befriend him to overcome his loneliness. Give reason
- Why does Derry tell Mr Lamb that he is afraid of seeing himself in the mirror in the story ‘On the Face of it’?
- How does Mr Lamb keep himself busy when it is a bit cool?
- What are the ways by which Mr Lamb tries to overcome the feelings of loneliness and disappointment?
- How was the 'injured' McLeery able to befool the prison officers?
- What purpose did the question paper and the correction slip serve? How did they help both the criminal and the Governor?
- What kind of a person was the governor of the prison in 'Evans tries an O- level'? Mention any four lapses in his arrangement for Evans' O-level exam that helped Evans escape?
- Why did Sadao Hoki go to America? Narrate his experiences there
- Draw a character sketch of the old General in the lesson, ‘The Enemy’
- Dr Sadao was compelled by his duty as a doctor to help the enemy soldier. What made Hana, his wife, sympathise with him in the face of open defiance from the domestic staff?
- Why did Dr Sadao take the man in and save him?
- Why did Sadao help the American soldier to escape? How did he do it?
- What explains the attitude of the General in the matter of the enemy soldier? Was it human consideration, lack of national loyalty, dereliction of duty or simply selfabsorption?
- Dr Sadao faced a dilemma. Should he use his surgical skills to save the life of a wounded person or hand an escaped American P.O.W. over to the Japanese police? How did he resolve this clash of values?
- How did Dr Sadao overcome the difficulty that came in his way to save the wounded soldier? How did Hana help her husband?
- The fog in the story ‘The Enemy’ is symbolic. Elucidate
- What impression do you form about Dr Sadao as a man and as a surgeon on your reading the chapter, ‘The Enemy’?
- Dr Sadao was a patriotic Japanese as well as a dedicated surgeon. How could he honour both values?
- What was his German teacher’s opinion of Evan’s proficiency in German?
- What could the Governor have done to securely bring Evans back to the prison from the ‘Golden Lion’?
- Jackson found a puzzling thing in McLeery’s suitcase. How did McLeery explain it?
- “Beneath all the bluster and the bullshit” a tiny core of compassion was buried somewhere in Jackson. Justify the statement
- Who do you think made the call to announce a correction in the question paper? What was its purpose?
- What did the Detective Superintendent inform the Governor about Evans?
- What were the contents of the small brown suitcase that McLeery carried?
- Who was Carter? What did the Governor ask him to do?
- How did the Governor react to the two phone calls he received in quick succession?
- What clues did the answer sheet of Evans provide to the Governor?
- Who do you think has outwitted the other—Evans or the Governor? How?
- How did McLeery explain the semi-inflated rubber ring in his suitcase? How was the ring ultimately used?
- Which do you think is a better ending of Roger Skunk’s story, Jo’s or her father’s? Why?
- What did Jo want Roger Skunk’s mother to be punished for?
- How did Roger Skunk pay the wizard?
- Why was Roger Skunk’s mummy angry with him? What did she finally tell him?
- Why did Jo think Roger Skunk was better off with the new smell?
- What impression do you form of Jack as a father in the story, ‘Should Wizard Hit Mommy?
- Why did Jo disapprove of Jack’s ending of the story of Roger Skunk? How did she want it to end?
- What help did Roger Skunk get from the wizard?
- How did Skunk’s mother get Roger Skunk’s old smell back?