“…there was terror in my heart at the overpowering force of the waves.” When did Douglas start fearing water? Which experience had further strengthened its hold on his mind and personality? [CBSE (AI) 2010]
Answer: Once Douglas was thrown into the swimming pool by a boy. He did not know swimming by that time. He could not come out of it by himself and be nearly drowned. Therefore, he became very much afraid of water. He dropped the idea of swimming and developed a fear of water. He made many efforts but water in vain. He could not control his feeling of terror. The writer had a near-death experience in the pool. The writer made one more effort to come out but that also failed. He could not forget his first experience of drowning when he was swept away by a sea wave. At that time, he was with his father but he was afraid. Now the writer was so afraid of water that he could not even wade into it. He could not bathe in the river and could not enjoy any water sports.
- How did Franz perform when his turn came to recite? How did M. Hamel react?
- Who occupied the backbenches in the classroom on the day of the last lesson? Why? [CBSE Delhi 2015]
- Why had M. Hamel put on his fine Sunday clothes? Why were the old men of the village sitting there in the back of the classroom?
- What was unusual about M. Hamel’s dress and behaviour on the day of his last French lesson? [CBSE Delhi 2010C]
- What was tempting Franz to keep away from school ‘that morning’? [CBSE Delhi 2010C]
- Why had the bulletin board become a centre of attention during the last two years? [CBSE Delhi 2010]
- How did M. Hamel say farewell to his students and the people of the town? [CBSE (AI) 2012]
- How did Franz react to the declaration that it was their last French lesson? [CBSE Delhi 2013]
- “This is your last French lesson.” How did Franz react to this declaration of M. Hamel? [CBSE Delhi 2010]
- Who did M. Hamel blame for the neglect of learning on the part of boys like Franz? [CBSE Delhi 2011]
- “What a thunderclap these words were to me!” Which were the words that shocked and surprised little Franz? [CBSE Delhi 2010; (AI) 2011]
- One order from Berlin changed the scenario of the school. Comment
- What did M. Hamel tell them about the French language? What did he ask them to do and why? [CBSE Delhi 2011, 2013C]
- How does M. Hamel pay a tribute to the French language? [CBSE (AI) 2008]
- How was M. Hamel’s class different the day Franz went late to school?
- How was the scene in the school, on the morning of the last lesson, different from that on other days? [CBSE Delhi 2008] [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- Which objects of nature does Keats mention as sources of joy in his poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty? [CBSE (AI) 2015]
- What does a thing of beauty do for us? [CBSE Delhi 2015]
- What does Keats consider an endless fountain of immortal drink and why does he call its drink immortal? [CBSE (AI) 2013]
- According to Keats, what moves the pain and suffering away from human life? [CBSE Sample Paper 2016]
- Describe any three things of beauty mentioned in the poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty'. [CBSE (AI) 2012, CBSE (AI) 2013]
- How is a thing of beauty a joy forever? [CBSE Delhi 2012]
- What is the message of the poem, ‘A Thing of Beauty? [CBSE (AI) 2011]
- What spreads the pall of despondence over our dark spirits? How is it removed? [CBSE (F) 2010]