Question: Who was Count Camillo de Cavour? Mention his contributions.
Answer: Count Camillo de Cavour also known as Cavour, was the Chief Minister of Italy. He was not a democrat or a revolutionary but an Italian statesman who actively participated in Italian unification. He spoke French better than Italian. His contributions were:
1. He was one of the individuals who fought for the unification of Italy. He took the initiative to unify the regions of Italy by inspiring people through his ideas.
2. He introduced several economic reforms in his native place in Piedmont and Risorgimento was the political newspaper started by him.
3. In 1859, Sardinia Piedmont successfully defeated the Austrian forces. This was possible because Count Camillo de Cavour formed the diplomatic alliance.
4. With his diplomacy, he successfully made Piedmont a new great power in Europe.
5. He practiced such policies which were adopted during post-Italy unification.