Question: What is ‘the fisherman’ symbolic of?
Answer: The fisherman symbolises man’s indiscriminate exploitation of nature for his vested interests.
- What ideology does Aunt Jennifer’s poem propound?
- Greed is the greatest evil force that has tempted man into doing a lot of misdeeds
- How can we transform and clean an evil-doing person? Give example from the story
- Have you known/heard of an episode where a good deed or an act of kindness has changed a person’s view of the world?
- The story ‘The Rattrap’ focuses on human loneliness and the need to bond with others. Explain
- The story also focuses on human loneliness and the need to bond with others
- Why did the crofter repose confidence in the peddler? How did the peddler betray that and with what consequences?
- How did the peddler betray the confidence reposed in him by the crofter in ‘The Rattrap’?
- Edla proved to be much more persuasive than her father while dealing with the peddler. Comment.
- The peddler declined the invitation of the ironmaster but accepted the one from Edla. Why?
- Describe the peddler’s meeting with the ironmaster. Why did he decline his invitation?
- Attempt a character sketch of the peddler in the story ‘The Rattrap’
- The peddler enjoys the sympathy of readers right from the beginning of the story. Draw a character sketch of the peddler justifying the sympathy he generates among the readers.
- Do you think the title ‘The Rattrap’ is appropriate? Give examples from the text in support of your view
- Describe the events which led to the change in the peddler’s way of life
- 'All' we have to fear is fear itself. When did Douglas learn this lesson?
- What deep meaning did his experience at the YMCA swimming pool have for Douglas?
- Mention any two long term consequences of the drowning incident on Douglas
- How did the instructor turn Douglas into a swimmer?
- What efforts did Douglas make to get over his fear of water?
- Why did Douglas go to Lake Wentworth in New Hampshire? How did he make his terror flee?
- Which factors led Douglas to decide in favour of the Y.M.C.A. pool?
- Why did Douglas go to Lake Wentworth in New Hampshire?
- What sort of terror seized Douglas as he went down the water with a yellow glow? How could he feel that he was still alive?
- When Douglas realised that he was sinking, how did he plan to save himself?